Yet another major decision for the two of you to make is the Wedding Cake. Wedding cakes are as traditional as the bride wearing a white gown. However, times have certainly changed and many couples are adding more modern themes and unconventional twists to their wedding and receptions. But for the most part, the symbolic cake seems to be one tradition that couples still include in their wedding celebration.
Apart from the bride’s dress, the wedding cake is usually the second most talked about focal point of the wedding. Now there is a full host of things to consider when choosing your perfect wedding cake, including flavors, design, colors, portion size and budget.
When working with brides-to-be, sometimes they are shocked at the prices when we start talking about potential bakers. But as they learn throughout the design process, there is an immense amount of time, talent and hard work that goes into creating the perfect wedding cake.
Here are some basic tips from Perfect Fairytale Endings on choosing your wedding cake.
- Think about your design. Go to Pinterest and view literally thousands of cake photos to help you with your vision. Chances are your vision has already been done. Having a photo for your cake designer to view will give them a clear idea of your vision. Then the two of you can work together to refine the design so it is a true reflection of your taste!
- Choose flavors and icing. The cake design may dictate which style of icing you select; buttercream vs. fondant. Any reputable baker will have no problem setting up a tasting for the two of you. The cake designer will probably have you choose your top flavor combinations to sample prior to your appointment.
- Take a look at the guest count. You want to make sure you have enough cake for everyone at the wedding. Also for a smaller reception, you may get odd looks if you have an elaborate 5-tier cake. Remember the top tier is traditionally saved for your first year anniversary.
- Determine your budget. Be upfront with your cake designer about your budget. There are many ways to translate your design and vision to fit into your budget. Utilize the designer’s knowledge and creativity to work within your budget.
- Make sure you like their style. Cake designers have styles too. Also when it comes to icing, some designers are happy to work with both butter cream and fondant. Work with one who works very well with the design you have chosen.
It is your special day, so every detail should be a true reflection of the two of you. If you are tight on budget, try to be flexible with the cake design. While your budget may not allow you to your wedding cake from the Cake Boss, you certainly don’t want it featured on cake wrecks. Remember “cheap cake ain’t good and good cake ain’t cheap.” Amen.
If you have any questions regarding planning your perfect wedding contact Perfect Fairytale Endings. Remember every initial consultation is complimentary!
Professional Wedding Consultant
Perfect Fairytale Endings
Cambridge, Ohio 43725
Wedding Planner Cambridge, Ohio
Wedding Planner Zanesville, Ohio
Wedding Planner Marietta, Ohio
Wedding Planner New Philadelphia, Ohio
Wedding Planner St. Clairsville, Ohio